Normally, you would require your IELTS or OET result to register with the GMC which should not be more than 2 years old.
Due to the recent delays in registration from limited exam spaces disrupted by the pandemic, the GMC has now formulated new ways to help such candidates register with ease
These are the ways you can demonstrates your good use of english if your IELTS or OET test is now over 2 years before registration;
*From GMC page*
A recent PLAB 2 pass
From now until March 2023, we’ll accept a recent PLAB 2 pass at registration as evidence that you’ve maintained your English language skills.
To be eligible for this when you apply for registration you must have:
- passed PLAB 2 less than three months before you apply to join the register.
- achieved our minimum scores in IELTs or OET less than three years ago.
We’ll automatically consider whether you meet these criteria when you apply for registration. You don’t have to provide us with any further information.
Other ways of demonstrating you’ve maintained your English language skills
If you’re not eligible to use your PLAB 2 pass as evidence, there are a number of alternatives available to you. You can send us your expired IELTS/OET certificate and one of the following:
- a reference from a tutor/lecturer of a postgraduate course or from an employer who is based in a country where English is the first and native language,
- evidence of a language test you’ve passed for registration with a medical regulatory authority in a country where English is the first and native language. This must be less than two years old,
- if you have a UK job offer, a Structured English Language Reference (SELR) Form completed by the doctor who appointed you.
The evidence you provide must cover the period from when your language test expired to when you apply for registration.
You can also retake IELTS or OET again. However, we know that this has financial implications and not everyone will have access to these tests.
If your original evidence has expired, you don’t meet our criteria for a recent PLAB 2 pass and you’re not able to take another IELTS or OET test, we’ll consider any other evidence that you may want to submit to demonstrate your English language competence at the point of registration.
2 thoughts on “English language requirements for GMC registration”
As u have mentioned that one can proove enhlish proficiency bypost plab 2 within 3 month, will it be possible to to share the reference for me. I would be highly obliged .